Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Diamante (Almost) Disasters!

Last week I encountered a problem I've never had before. I *thought* we would have great fun writing diamante poems. I added a little twist, and instead of doing synonyms or antonyms I had the students use Eleanor Roosevelt and Amelia Earhart, as an extension activity for our reading story, Amelia and Eleanor Go For a Ride. Every class I've ever done these with has loved them! Not so, this year. Two days into it and I knew this was not the poetry for my kiddos. These kids had to really work hard just to get finished. That just goes to show you that you simply cannot do the same activities from year to year in the same way they've always been done. Every class is unique. Every child has his own interests and personal learning style. On the upside, I'm glad I taught it, because the children had to think in new ways that weren't necessarily natural for them. They had to really stretch their thinking. Here's one of their poems:

Amelia
Wondrous, Brave
Amazing, Daring, Thrilling
Airplane, Pilot, First Lady, VIP
Helping, Caring, Loving
Sweet, Honest
Eleanor


No comments:

Post a Comment