Thursday, April 12, 2012

Can I Bring My Kindle...?


Yesterday as we settled down to read:

Kid: Mrs. Kilgo, can I bring my Kindle Fire to school tomorrow for read to self because it has my Tim Tebow book I'm reading?
Me: Sure! (Happy that he's reading a biography!)
Kid: My mom said that if you catch me doing anything I'm not supposed to be doing on it, I will get grounded from it and you'll take it away until the end of the year.
Me: (in my head) I sure do like this mom!

When I got home from school today I had an email from another student asking the same question. While I know there are some concerns about this, I think its really cool that my kids are asking. What's next? Technology is literally changing how students learn, or want to learn, and the face of the classroom. What will our classrooms look like in five years? Ten years? Twenty?

I can remember my third year teaching, gathering 18 students around ONE computer to teach them how to use PowerPoint. (The first two years I had NO computer). And now, almost every child in my class owns their own hand held device. Wow! I just wonder what the future will hold?

4 comments:

  1. I love that there are devices like these and we don't need to carry those heavy books with us. An e-reader is small, portable and I can take it with me when I travel.
    Also, it's great that there are sites like All You Can Books with hundreds of free titles... we only need time to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how far we've come with technology! I wish our school allowed students to bring their e-readers with them. Unfortunately they are banned from school. :(

    I am a new follower.

    Krista
    stellar-students

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a student who uses his Kindle as well. His mom actually asked if it was okay with me before she bought it for him this Christmas. I love that it cuts down time in the library picking out a new book because there are already back-up books loaded in. I look forward to even more students using them in the future!

    Christi ツ
    Ms. Fultz’s Corner

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing seeing how technology has advanced in the classroom. I remember taking a keyboard typing class in HIGH SCHOOL! Now kids have them in grade school. LOL

    So Fun!

    -Rachel

    ReplyDelete