Thursday, May 3, 2012

Shape-aholics!

If you teach 4th grade Saxon Math, then you're probably all too familiar with the stress and anxiety that accompanies lesson 100: Constructing Geometric Models. It's horrible! Every year it's the same, "You wanna just read over this and then skip it?" My coworker and I say almost at once. Not this year! We've spent an entire week learning about geometric solids, and my kiddos (and I) have thoroughly enjoyed it!

Monday: We started with this flipchart: 

Then, I armed the kiddos with digital cameras and had them go on a hunt around the school for examples of each type of solid.

Tuesday: We reviewed the flipchart, then started to compile the images and create a video (hopefully, we'll finish it tomorrow).

Wednesday: Reviewed flipchart. Did a version of this awesome nets activity I found on Pinterest:
 

Thursday (today): Constructed models using jellybeans and toothpicks! (Another great Pinterest find). Took a quiz, then worked on our video. 
What a great way to review edges and vertices!

Friday: The plan is to finish our video, and find other examples to photograph if we need them. 

2 comments:

  1. I love the jellybean and toothpick solid models!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the jellybeans activity! Thank you for linking up! I hope to see you again next week.

    Kelly
    Teaching Fourth

    ReplyDelete