Friday, August 31, 2012

Scoot! Renaming Numbers

I just stumbled on the game Scoot the other day and can't believe I'd never heard of such a quick, easy, and fun review game! Apparently, it's been all over the Internet for ages. How did I miss it? Oh well, I know now! It's very easy to play, and I've created a version for you to use to review or preview place value relationships below.

If you've never heard of Scoot, here's how you play:
  1. Give each child a recording sheet. They will keep their sheet and pencil with them during the game.
  2. Place a task card face down at each person's seat. 
  3. When you say "Go." students turn over the card at their seat and write the answer on the appropriate square of their recording sheet.
  4. When you say "Scoot!" students move to the next seat (cards stay--kids move) and do the next problem.
  5. At the end of the game, review answers.
Since I know we have a tough lesson Monday (renaming thousands as hundreds) I wanted to build my students' number sense and sort of preview the concept, so I made this game:

Click here for a copy.

My kids really enjoyed playing this game today and it seemed to help them understand renaming numbers a little more than they did before. That should really help next week when we do numerical representations and larger numbers. I hope you enjoy it!


This game correlates with Common Core standards 4.NBT.1, 5.NBT.1 and 2.NBT.1. You can find this game and other great Common Core lessons on these blogs:
Common Core Classrooms  Common Core Kids

5 comments:

  1. I've never heard of Scoot before, either! I am definitely going to be using it this year!

    Heather
    Peacocksandpenguins.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. Renaming is always a tough concept for my students, and this game will be a fun way to work on it! I'd never heard of Scoot either, by the way :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! Can't wait to play this with my students tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I've enjoyed using your game the last couple of years, however it did confuse my younger children this year that the longs/tens did not have ten in them. Is there an updated version available? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for sharing! This is hard for students to grasp!

    ReplyDelete