Friday, March 16, 2012

Perspective





I stumbled upon this picture on Pinterest tonight and thought of how much that applies in the classroom and even every day life. It reminded me of my days as a Reading Recovery teacher. Sometimes it seemed overwhelming to think of all the skills that those children were missing. In our training and practice we learned to always focus on and start with what the child knows, then build from there. Small successes such as knowing that the print on a page goes from top to bottom and left to right were praised and children learned the things they needed to know when it was developmentally appropriate. Those three years were eye-opening to me and taught me to try and see things from a different angle. They completely transformed my perspective when I returned to the regular classroom.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment