Saturday, November 9, 2019

Veterans Day Learning

Honoring our country's veterans is very important to me. As Veterans Day approaches, I wanted to take the opportunity to teach my students as much as possible about this day and help instill a sense of patriotism in them as well. Here are some of the great learning activities we've participated in this week. 

Probably the most meaningful for my students was a visit from my nephew, who has recently returned from a tour of active duty. My students were so excited to learn that he came through the very same school system they attend. They had lots of great questions for him, and learned a lot about the military from his first hand accounts. 


This patriotic STEM activity was also a great opportunity to practice grit while utilizing the engineering process. It is very simple to prepare, and highly engaging. I will definitely to this one again. Not all of my groups were successful in the challenge, but they all keep working to improve their designs. I also saw a lot of innovative creations and great teamwork. 





Finally, this set of differentiated passages has a great Veterans Day close reading passage. I used this in small groups this week to practice reading skills while students learned about the origin of Veterans Day. 

I'd love to hear about how you teach American holidays to your students. Feel free to drop me a comment.


2 comments:

  1. Chào các bạn, nếu các bạn đang có nhu cầu tham khảo đặt vé máy bay hà nội phú quốc và các hành trình bay nội địa trực tuyến thì có thể tham khảo website Aivivu nhà mình. Aivivu là đại lý cấp 1 của các hãng hàng không trong nước: Vietnam Airlines, Vietjet Air, Bamboo Airways, Pacific Airlines…Bên cạnh đó, Aivivu cũng cung cấp vé máy bay giá rẻ của nhiều hãng hàng không quốc tế như Eva Air, Korean Air, China Airlines, Air Asia.v.v. Để cập nhật tin tức khuyến mại mới nhất, mua vé, đổi vé máy bay nhanh nhất, bạn có thể gọi Aivivu theo Hotline: 1900 6695. Ngoài ra, Aivivu còn hỗ trợ hành khách làm thủ tục check in online Vietnam airlines đơn giản

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very amazing your blog is very useful for education. Thanks for providing this blog platform for students and sprints. I have read some articles on this blog there is very knowledgeable, You can check Hindiexamalert and you can read SSC MTS Syllabus in Hindi

    ReplyDelete